quick comments over Harald's use of RFC 3683

I quickly reviewed the <http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/jefsey-pr-action.php>. It calls for some quick comments.

- the petition text is IMHO standard, however my non-American culture finds some wording purposely hurting. But IANAL. - the proposition has a first annex of often wrongly/childly characterized (as this is probably usual in a controversy) exchanges and links to a list of mails. The quick perusal of all these selected and out of context mails seems to globally weak the accusation.

More seriously, this calls for a comment on the motives of the action and on the "lynching" RFC 3683 seems to permit without warranting the rights of the "lynched" person. I do not wish to comments this by mail and will simply submit two Drafts which will permit to more seriously discuss and update the technical and systemic issues involved and suggestion proposed. I also need IESG guidance on three particular points.

I cannot object Harald's request to send him support in using the IETF list. I only suggest you keep it as short as possible so we do not waste time and bandwidth over noise. This only happens because I came here considering the IETF important to the Internet users, and because I did refuse to transform it in an intra/inter-SSDO battle-field: I thank people wishing to support me to keep sending _private_ mails or to abstain wasting their time. Feuds happens in Research when "official" thinking is challenged. Usually History decides the loser is the bitter.

I do not have much time to dedicate to this, but I am ready to help a deeper thinking about RFC 3683 practicalities over a real case. I think the IETF needs it, not to be used, and may be blocked, in circumstances discussed by RFC 3869. This is why I do _co-sign_ Harald's motion (with mention: "to get a copy of the co-signatories exchanges and to help the discussion of the RFC 3683 refinements the IETF we probably needs").

I only see this as a confirmation, by my competition, of the probable market impact of "my" technical propositions (based on the work of many worldwide), and an attempt to prevent or discredit them and my planned appeals or appeals support on behalf of the common good.

This is only for me a pressing incitation to develop them faster. I am going to do this without waiting anymore for the consensus I hoped still possible. The attempt to still delay me/us has failed. Sorry.
jfc

I have now finished my work on a petition explaining to the IESG why I think Jefsey Morfin should be banned from posting on the IETF list under RFC 3683.

It's time to figure out whether there are more people who agree with me and the other signatories on this.

Please read the petition, and if you agree, sign it.

Petition: <http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/jefsey-pr-action.php>

The online version includes references to sample postings by Jefsey.
Main body of text reproduced below.

This message will be posted to the IETF list, the ietf-languages list and the LTRU mailing list. Please keep discussion on the IETF list.

               Jefsey Morfin PR-Action Petition

  Last modified: September 28, 2005

  This message is a request to the IESG to consider
  approving a PR-action, as per RFC 3683, barring the
  person known as Jean-Francois Charles Morfin
  ("Jefsey"), an individual known to be posting from the
  addresses jefsey@xxxxxxxxxx, rd@xxxxxxxxx,
  info@xxxxxxxxx, info@xxxxxxxx,
  info@xxxxxxxxxxxx and jefsey@xxxxxxxxx, from the
  IETF mailing list, and giving blanket permission to any
  manager of any IETF mailing list to bar him from
  posting there, as per the RFC.

Disruptive behaviour

  Based on the public record of Jefsey's postings, we
  believe that Jefsey Morfin is engaging in disruptive
  behaviour that has caused considerable damage to the
  ability of the IETF to proceed speedily and with
  consensus in the working groups in which he has
  participated.

  In particular, his postings exhibit:
    * Use of inflammatory language towards others [1]
    * Misquoting and misrepresenting of other people's
      arguments [2]
    * Refusal to stop pursuing an argument in the face of
      consensus against him [3]
    * Misrepresentation of non-IETF organizations [4]
    * Personal attacks and use of threatening language
      against people who disagree with him, using
      attributes such as language, nationality or
      employer [5]
    * Postings that seem to serve no purpose apart from
      inciting negative reaction [6]
    * Very limited ability to contribute anything with
      actual technical content to the discussion

  Effects of this behaviour is to make other people
  either angry enough to post further inflammatory emails
  to the lists (disrupting constructive discussion) or to
  cause participants with valuable insight to drop out of
  the conversation (reducing the input to the IETF
  process), or to refuse to consider contributing work on
  documents in WGs where Jefsey is active (making it
  harder to get work done).

Previous chastisement history

  A number of people have tried explaining to Jefsey why
  his behaviour is inappropriate. No change in behaviour
  has occured. [A]

  To the petitioners' knowledge, his posting rights to
  IETF mailing lists have been suspended three times -
  once to the LTRU WG's mailing list [B], and twice to
  the ietf-languages mailing list [C][D].

  These suspensions have produced no change in behaviour.

Conclusion

  We, the undersigned, believe that the material
  presented above provides a clear case that Jefsey
  Morfin is being "abusive of the consensus-driven
  process", as required by RFC 3683, and therefore ask
  that the IESG undertake a PR-action against Jefsey
  Morfin.