Re: IPR Trust - draft-carpenter-bcp101-update-02 and the IASA

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, John C Klensin wrote:

> Brian,
>
> This is a fine document.  Perhaps appropriately, it doesn't say
> much of anything.
>
> Is the actual trust agreement a secret, or does the IETF and
> IASA intend to make it public before the IESG approves it?  Will
> there be an IETF Last Call that includes an opportunity to
> review the document itself?

The actual document is still in review and and the on-going discussions
are privileged as they invole outside parties. I've just sent a summary of
our framework to the list (you anticipated me by a few minutes). The
document falls under the "contracts or equivalent instruments with outside
organizations" and IPR related duties of the IASA as outlined in section 3
of BCP 101 and as I understand this section is not subject to IETF Last
Call. We are making our best efforts to relay information as it becomes
available.

See the regular minutes posted here: http://koi.uoregon.edu/~iaoc/2.html

> And is presumably a bit out of date, given comments in the
> monthly report you circulated.   And, referring to that report,
> it also discusses new draft engagement agreements with Counsel
> and other draft agreements which are not mentioned on the IASA
> web site, much less available there.

again, please see the minutes.

> I am sure all of this is fine, but the agreement with the
> community when IASA was formed was that all of these things
> would be public to the extent possible.  To the extent to which
> few or none of them appear to be available, and the IASA/IAOC
> does not seem to be able to keep its own web pages current and
> the community informed that way, rather than via just overview
> monthly reports, I think it should be a matter of concern to all
> of us.

we are working within the confines of "to the extent possible" and
hope to be able to share the document soon.