Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

On 8/30/2005 2:18 PM, Stuart Cheshire wrote:

> Well, in case 1 (mDNS), no, because it won't return a useful result, so
> why keep doing it?
>
> In case 3 (conventional DNS), no, because it won't return a useful
> result, so why keep doing it?
>
> In case 2 (LLMNR) the answer is yes, all the time, if you chose to call
> your printer "isoc.frog", which LLMNR allows and encourages.

What part of the specification requires LLMNR names to be processed
through Internet DNS?

There are lots of similar-looking naming services out there (DNS, NIS,
NetBIOS, AppleTalk, ...), and there is a significant amount of experience
in keeping the names and resolution paths separate. Just because an LLMNR
name "looks like" a DNS name doesn't make it one (just as an AppleTalk
name that "looks like" a DNS name doesn't make it one).

People who mix the resolution paths (and/or the caches) deserve what they
get. Unless you can point out where this is mandatory, I'd say the correct
response is "don't do that"