Re: regarding IETF lists using mailman: nodupes considered harmful

On 8/25/05, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Recent versions of mailman set "nodupes" by default.  List participants
> can change it if they know about it, but they might have no idea of how
> this setting works and how it can be used to exclude them from
> participation.
>
> The workaround is to set "new_member_options" (under General Options)
> so that "Filter out duplicate messages to list members" is NOT set.
> "Do not send a copy of a member's own post" should probably not
> be set either.

When Rob Austein and I discovered this (geez, it must have been a year
ago or more), there was no obvious way to change the default (looking
at UI and code), so we put it off  - I guess for long enough that the
UI might have caught up...

I noticed it because I tend to delete the version of a mail to list+me
that ends up in my inbox, because I know it'll end up in my listbox
too, and that stopped happening.

The action to recommend to existing users is to go to your options for
some list, e.g., https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/options/ietf , scroll
down to the bottom, in the "Avoid duplicate copies of messages?" box,
select "No" and "Set globally", then "Submit my changes".

If someone with a little more mailman clue than I can figure out a
withlist script (or similar) to set this default for all lists and all
users that'd probably be quite useful.

  Bill