Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx> writes:

> It is not sufficient to make it an open standard (by your criteria, Java
> or PDF would be non-proprietary). The most important criteria is the
> fact that the specification is NOT controlled by any given private
> entity.

If you go look at the documents that Stuart posted references to, you will
find:

| 21. Copyright Notice
|
|    Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2005).
|
|    This document is subject to the rights, licenses and restrictions
|    contained in BCP 78, and except as set forth therein, the authors
|    retain all their rights. For the purposes of this document,
|    the term "BCP 78" refers exclusively to RFC 3978, "IETF Rights
|    in Contributions", published March 2005.

In other words, they're exactly as controlled by a given private entity as
any other IETF work.  Is the IETF a private entity?  Is SMTP controlled by
the IETF?

I think your criteria doesn't survive logical scrutiny.  If other people
have access to the standard, can implement the standard, and can build on
the standard to create a newer revision of it, I can't imagine what
definition of "proprietary" you're using that would apply.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@xxxxxxxxxxxx)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>