Re: Myths of the IESG: Reading documents is the problem

>  I intended to say something like "...in which an AD is not simply one
>  contributor among several other contributors to the work for the WG, but,
>  instead, takes the lead role within the WG of providing technical input.

ahh.  tnx.

> >  It is worse than that.  Even if the AD keeps their mouth (and fingers)
> >  entirely silent during IESG considerations, they will have held undue
> >  influence over the process, if they make substantial technical
> >  contribution AND are the cognizant AD.
>
>  Yes, of course.

Would that the "of course" reflected a consensus view on the current IESG, but
apparently it does not, based on a recent exchange I had with them.  Quite
surprising, really.

> >  The term "conflict of interest" has its definition precisely in the
> >  danger that comes from this sort of confusion of roles.
> >
> >  But that's really for a different discussion thread...
> >
>  Indeed.  And, in our environment, I suggest that one can have a serious
>  conflict or roles and relationships without meeting the usual tests for a
>  conflict of interest.  In terms of impact on the standards process, there
>  is, of course, no practical difference between the two cases.

We are so used to thinking of "conflict of interest" as involving greed or an
equivalent, reprehensible self-interest, but it needn't.

Conflicting ideals are, all the same, conflicts of interest.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking