Re: Why have we gotten away from running code?

Melinda Shore wrote:
Scott W Brim wrote:

Hi Melinda.  Are you saying that people shouldn't comment on an idea
unless they are implementing it?

No, clearly (I hope) not.  Just that it seems likely
that maybe if we did more implementation it could
help end some of those round-and-round we go discussions
that can often be opinion-based.

Absolutely. "I tried to code this but couldn't understand
the spec" or "I coded this but it doesn't work as specified"
are two of the most powerful arguments and it would be good
to hear them (or their converse) more often.

The question on the table since RFC 3774 is: why don't we
execute the transition to Draft Standard more often,
otherwise known as: why are there so few implementation
reports at http://www.ietf.org/IESG/implementation.html
(three this year, I believe)?

Newtrk was expected to deal with this question.

    Brian