Re: Dog Food (was "IETF servers aren't for testing")

> Dear Jordi,
> - put a bootable CD in a new machine with a Wi-Fi router plugged on the
> ADSL line

I've got a dualstack router livecd under development, at the request of
the (showing signs of life) ISTF and ISOC board, for use in 3rd world
deployment.  Time is limited though, as I am on the road at the moment.
The solution is complete, I have deployed it several times, but always in
the form of "set up a basic debian system with v4 connectivity, and I'll
ssh in and do up a dual stack router."  It will take me a bit to finish
the distro...

Scott

> - answer a few well documented questions
> - and get its server running under Apache, with a xxxmail working as pop,
> smtp, mailing list and anti-spam, their named operational and reasonable
> anti-virus, firewall, network management, log reporting tool,
> backup/restore, security alarm solutions being in operation and full Perl
> and PHP support for network scripts being loaded.
>
> I have the ADSL line and IPv6/IPv4 address for three months. I am still
> looking for a trustable "dog food" cann: an ISO to dowload, CD to Fedex, a
> compact nomad version on a bootable USB key? May be then the IETF could a
> copy: not to test it, but to show it can be used. I know you made a lot of
> practical efforts: did you come accross of such a dog foot? I would love to
> test!
> jfc
>
> On 09:44 05/08/2005, Iljitsch van Beijnum said:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Yesterday in the plenary in response to a request for making the IETF
> >servers IPv6-capable, I believe Leslie said we shouldn't use IETF
> >servers for testing.
> >
> >In and of itself I fully agree with that statement. However, the
> >assumption that IPv6 is an experimental protocol and enabling it on
> >the various IETF servers should be considered "testing" isn't exactly
> >a glowing endorsement of 10 years of IETF work.
> >
> >It sounds distasteful, but we should really be eating your own dog food.
> >
> >Limiting myself to the www.ietf.org webservers (yes, this address
> >points to two different hosts) it appears this site runs on:
> >
> >Server: Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat)
> >Server: Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.0.40 OpenSSL/ 0.9.7a
> >
> >Even though these Apache versions are 2 - 3 years old (with many
> >vulnerabilities found and fixed in the mean time), they're fully
> >capable of supporting IPv6, as are Red Hat Linux versions of around
> >the same age.
> >
> >It would be a nice way to mark 7 years of RFC 2460 (or 10 years of
> >RFC 1883, both were published in december) and the closing of the
> >IPv6 wg with addition of IPv6 to at least the IETF WWW servers.
> >
> >(BTW a big "yuck" for being behind two-faced DNS here at the IETF
> >meeting venue.)

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/