Re: I-D ACTION:draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-02.txt

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Scott Bradner wrote:
> > Sam Hartman wrote:
> > > would it be reasonable to just say that we are going to
> > > always last call IETF review documents?  Personally I'd
> > > approve of this option unless people think it is too
> > > restrictive.
> >
> > works for me (assuming that you include non-IETF documents
> > when you say "IETF review documents")
>
> In which case, what you last call is not the document itself but
> what the IETF intends to say about it, and do about the related
> IANA action.
>
> That being so, I think we now have running code proof that this
> is what the community wants.

To make sure I understand what is being said here, is the proposal
that a Last Call would be required for the policies labelled "IETF
Review" and "IESG Approval"?  That seems reasonable to me.  And if a
last call requirement is added, I don't think there is a reaon any
more to change the name to "IETF Review" from "IETF Consensus".

I would be less supportive of a proposal to require Last Call in
connection with the "Specification Required" and "RFC Required"
assignment policies.  That seems too heavyweight.  However, I do
think that it would be reasonable to require that the supporting
documents be reviewed by a designated expert to verify that it they
are sufficiently clear to make possible interoperability between
independent implementations.

//cmh