Re: Should the IESG manage or not?

    >> Yes, the IESG could abuse its power in the future.  For example
    >> if it failed to charter work for one of the previous options in
    >> the presence of significant community support, then the IESG
    >> would be abusing its power.  If the IESG blocked such a
    >> document with discusses that challenged the fundamental premis
    >> of the document while there was community support then the IESG
    >> would be abusing its power.  If the IESG constructed
    >> unreasonable process blocks or unfairly enforced process issues
    >> against these documents then it would be abusing its power.
    >> But if the IESG is going to have management responsibility, it
    >> needs the authority to recommend against things it believes are
    >> wastes of time.  Some times the community will disagree with
    >> those recommendations; so long as the IESG does not block the
    >> community that's entirely fine and will be a result of an open
    >> process.

    John> We are in complete agreement here.  And I notice that you
    John> use the term "recommend", which appears to me to be rather
    John> different from the decision made in this particular case.

No, actually, recommend was the term that the IESG used.  The IESG
declined to approve the request on the spot because the IESG believed
that a protocol option changing TCP congestion control (among other
things) required review within the IETF community.  Even if we thought
Scott claims we could have the proposal was great and would easily achieve consensus we would
have declined the request for this reason.  The remaining critical
question is what we recommend happen next.

In this instance we recommend against pursuing the proposal because we
don't believe it will achieve consensus.

In other instances we might have declined the request and recommended
that the proposal be taken to the IPV6 working group for review on the
IETF consensus or standards action path.

The distinction between what part of the response was a recommendation
and what part was active text is quite important.  There are numerous
cases wher people in the IETF do things the IESG recommends against.

--Sam