RE: S stands for Steering [Re: Should the IESG rule or not?]

I agree that no noise usually means agreement, but once a counterpoint has
been raised I don't know how to tell which side the silent people are
agreeing with.

I'm not saying I see all angles to this but it seems like Robert really has
some strong logic behind him - If assigning the registration doesn't give
anything that could have been taken without it then all we are ensuring by
giving the assignment is documentation on record, an easy way to ignore the
implementation (by reference of the assigned number), and an avoidance of
future conflicts with options we might find of much more import.  I don't
see the benefit of flying blind only because I don't know how that helps us
achieve the goal of preventing this implementation.  If that could be
explained then I would change my tune.

Best regards,

Nick Staff