Re: Last Call: 'Email Submission Between Independent Networks' to BCP

> I don't see that sort of probing on our MXs, except on rare occasions, and
> we haven't seen it recently.

FWIW, my logs on mrochek.com (my home domain) show around 35,000 relay attempts
during the past 6 months. This number is almost certainly much too low, in that
I have various other blocks in place that may stop relay attempts before they
get to the "don't allow relaying" rule.

A cursory examination of the logs shows that most of the destination addresses
are ones I've never heard of. But there are also a fair number of addresses I
recognize as IETF people. Sure looks like somebody is tracking sender-recipient
pairs off of mailing list mail.

Mrochek.com probably qualifies as an obscure domain.

> What sort of mail volume to you handle?  2000-4000 attempts isn't a lot
> for large volume domain handling millions of messages per day.

Overall traffic is about 500 legit messages a day and a highly variable amount
of spam, but rarely less than a thousand spams and viruses a day.

I don't think I'll be making my home system an open relay any time soon...

				Ned