Re: IANA Considerations

> Ned Freed <ned.freed@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > Like it or not, careful reviews and review checklists, while quited
> > flawed in their own right, are the best tool we have. When I was on
> > the IESG I had my own private review checklist; it was the only
> > thing I found that worked.

> I agree careful reviews are necessary. What I find surprising is your
> logic, which seems to say:

>   IANA considerations sections in IDs are not sufficient, therefore
>   they are useless (or worse).

I have never said or even implied that.

> Is that really what you are advocating?

Of course not.

> What exactly is it that you
> think should be done (in addition to careful reviews) that would help
> reduce the odds that the careful review find issues with the IANA
> instructions (or lack thereof)?

Simple: The requirement that an  IANA considerations section be included in RFC
not containing any IANA actions needs to be dropped. I have been extremely
clear ahout this.

> Note that having IC sections is all about improving the odds that they
> contain the Right Thing before the document is approved by the
> IESG. In my mind that means:

That may be the intent, but the effect is to substitute boilerplate for
review, which won't improve specification quality at all.

> 1) IANA reviews an (essentially) final version, to be sure what it
>    says is consistent with their understanding of what needs to be
>    carried out. But, IANA does this review during Last Call. Thus, the
>    IC section really needs to be complete _before_ the full IETF
>    review.

> 2) Well, the Shepherding AD can do the "careful review" during the AD
>    review phase, but there is already plenty of pressure to skimp on
>    the AD review in order to send a document the WG says is finished
>    to IETF LC ASAP. I.e., to get the IETF LC started and "fix any
>    issues that come up later". Plus, in my experience, plenty of IC
>    issues are caught by ADs other than the shepherding AD. So relying
>    on them to catch all such issues is far from ideal.

> 3) Voila, have a checklist item that alerts WGs to things they should
>    take steps to make sure their documents have already addressed
>    prior to advancing a document out of the WG.

This is all very logical, but we're dealing with people here, not perfect
logical systems.

				Ned