Re: Authentication/Session tracking question [was: HTTP/1.1 Protocol: Help Needed

Hi,

   In the light of the discussions we had so far - on various modes of
authentication and session tracking: cookie, cookieless, form-data,
URL-parameter etc etc etc, may I suggest an improvement in HTTP/1.1 -
which, again, is open to discussion.

  Currently, associated with HTTP-Authentication are two (or three) headers:

1. WWW-Authenticate
2. Authorize
3. Optionall, Auth-Info

   Can we have a header called Auth-ID which may perform the task of a
session-ID. Instead of putting in form-data or part-of-URL (which
leads to a must-form-on-every-request) or as cookies (sometimes
disabled, for good reasons as mentioned in thread), we can have it as
a separate header.

   A small flow can be something like this:

1. Server requets authentication (HTTP-Authentication or simply form based)
2. Client Authenicates
3. Server validates authentication and sets a header (Set-Auth-ID:
<some-id>, path='/some/path')
4. Client, when requesting any URL from the server under '/some/path',
a header is passed (Auth-ID: <some-id>).

5. Server makes use of this header to dis/allow any protected content.

Ok... another extension in HTTP/1.1 may not be on cards... but do we
have any other option? Or just live with Cookies? :-(

--
Cheers,
Gaurav Vaish