RE: Voting (again)

> From: kent crispin [mailto:kent@xxxxxxxxx]

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 04:03:02PM -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> >

> > > I also believe the nomcom process does provide
> > > accountability.  I think that the nomcom interview process
> > > was more comprehensive than any job interview process I've
> > > gone through.
> >
> > I think you make a fundamental error here, accountability is
> > determined by whether we can get rid of someone, not by how
> they are
> > appointed in the first place.
>
> Oh.  Therefore voting has nothing to do with accountability,
> since it is a
> mechanism for selecting people in the first place, and therefore the
> premise of this thread is vacuous.

No, it is the fact that there will be a vote in the future that creates
accountability.

That is why electing Presidents for life is never democratic, however
good the voting process it is never repeated.

It is also why a single flawed election is not catastrophic for the
system, it does not indicate a systemic failure of the system, there
will be another election in the future.