Re: Last Call: 'Requirements for IETF Draft Submission Toolset' to Informational RFC

On Tue April 5 2005 15:30, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On Wed, 2005/03/02 (MST), <blilly@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I've suggested (via Reply-To) discussion on the IETF list.
>
> Bruce,
>
> 	Thanks a lot for reviewing and commenting on the draft!
>
> I am preparing a revision to address Last Call comments.
>
> I am not on the IETF list anymore (too much noise), so I am CCing Tools
> discussion list instead. Please feel free to forward elsewhere.

I'm copying the IETF list for closure.

> > It seems odd that there is no provision for upload of nroff source
> > (RFC 2223) mentioned in sections 7 and 8 of the draft.
>
> The motivation for uploading XML sources is that they are used by tools
> and humans processing submitted drafts.

Likewise for nroff source.

> For example, RFC Editor is often
> using authors' XML sources.

While I have no data to either confirm or refute that assertion, RFC
2223 section 3 and the draft successor to that document both explicitly
state that the RFC Editor uses nroff.

> We expect such uses to grow once XML sources
> are easily available. In fact, the submission tool itself is expected to
> extract useful metadata from XML sources.

I suspect that similar metadata could be extracted from nroff source,
at least if a suitable macro package (e.g. as described in
draft-lilly-using-troff) is used.

> What would be the motivation for uploading nroff sources?

In addition to extraction of metadata,

o nroff is used by the RFC-Editor (RFC 2223 section 3); keeping the
  same source format from initial draft through RFC production can ease
  the workload for authors and the RFC Editor

o automatic generation of plain text, PostScript, PDF, HTML (including
  line diagrams, tables, data formats, etc.), preserving page layout,
  from single source

o (if a suitable macro package is used) no need to upload boilerplate;
  provided that the (IETF copy of the) macro package is maintained,
  up-to-date boilerplate can be generated automatically

o ability for authors w/o access to formatting tools to upload easily-
  produced document source which can be used to produce a formatted
  draft

> I understand
> that some folks prefer to create drafts using nroff, MS Word, or other
> formats, but what would be the primary benefit of uploading those sources
> to IETF repositories?

For nroff, see above.  As I haven't suggested other formats, I have no
comments at this time regarding putative benefits attributable to them.

> And if nroff sources are accepted, should we accept
> MS Word and other source formats?

For me, source formats other than nroff are uninteresting (i.e. "I
don't care").