Re: french crypto regulations relating to personal encryption usage by visitors?

Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Apr 02 2005, at 15:35 Uhr, Sam Hartman wrote:
>
>> Similarly the
>> rest of the world would like to show that we should have the meetings
>> closer to them.
>
> You are making an assumption about the motives of the people that
> point out the continuing decline of suitability of the US as a meeting
> place for an international organisation.
> This assumption may suggest itself, but it certainly does not apply to
> all of those making the argument.

Maybe not, but I doubt it's coincidence that the people who are
most enthusiastic about Europe are European and that the people who
seem most enthusiastic about Asia are Asian.

> (I'm not arguing for an all-out change of IETF policy tomorrow, but
> this little misunderstanding needs to be set straight.

I'm not sure what you think the misunderstanding is. That people
are often self-interested and prefer to minimize travel time?
I doubt that's a misunderstanding at all.

-Ekr