Re: IETF onsite networks; discussion, cash, knowledge

Thus spake "Pekka Savola" <pekkas@xxxxxxxxxx>
> I agree that the wired drops in each room are probably more trouble
> than they're worth, especially considering the fact that the jabber
> scribes and other important people (excluding the chairs) are
> typically littered all over the room.

If wired drops are to be eliminated (and I don't oppose that), then the
wireless network reliability needs to be improved to the level of wired
connections.

As a strawman I would propose:

IPv4 unicast coverage of the meeting rooms is mandatory.  All other services
(IPv6, multicast, coverage of restaurants and bars, etc.) are highly
desirable but can be disabled if needed to preserve the mandatory service.
During setup, a rock-solid "mandatory service" network shall be deployed
first so that roll-back can be achieved quickly if necessary; only after
that is working perfectly should the network staff attempt to activate
"desirable" services.

Having separate networks for "mandatory" and "desirable" services doesn't
seem necessary yet, but future experience may prove me wrong.  I hope it
doens't come to that; if so we really need to look at the deployability of
the protocols we're developing.

> We should only provide power sockets and a switch port in the terminal
> room.  Scrap everything else.  No computers, no printers, nothing.
> Simple and easy.  No need for a guard to stand by.

Printers are needed; as John Klensin noted, being able to print drafts and
other documents helps comprehension of the material.  It also keeps people
productive when the network is unavailable...

> Why do we need anything more?  Just so that the IETF tourists can read
> their email?  Doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Let's not forget that the (vast?) majority of IETF attendees are there at
the expense of their employers; access to email keeps them in touch and
reduces the impact of their absence.  Checking in at night from a hotel room
isn't enough.

> When the meeting is hosted by someone, let's not expect them to
> provide the terminal room.

I don't think the host should be providing PCs, but IMHO a place to sit with
a wireless laptop (and recharge it) and print out the occasional document is
underrated.  Wired connections for laptops are debatable; perhaps a few
tables near the network equipment, but certainly not the entire room.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin