Re: Fw: Impending publication: draft-iab-dns-assumptions-02.txt

* Keith Moore:

>> i think this document is just silly.  and highly subjective.  there is
>> no way to edit it to correct its problems -- it should just quietly
>> die. IAB should preserve its relevance and integrity by limiting its
>> focus to objective technical matters (such as the excellent work on
>> wildcards back when COM and NET each had wildcards), rather than fluff
>> like this.
>
> I think the intent of the document is timely and appropriate, though I
> think it needs another rev before publication.  Mostly it could be
> condensed to:
>
> "automata should not make any assumptions about the meaning of a domain
> name"

I think this summary is misleading, given that the document is silent
on a very important issue: standards which attach special semantics to
parts of the DNS tree.  By "special semantics" I mean special stub
resolver or resolver which is triggered by the appearance of some
magic labels or domain names, indepedent of actual zone data.  (An
extreme example: "Resolvers MUST return the address 192.0.2.1 for IN A
queries of the name www.example.com.")

This is extremely annoying for those who use Internet technology on
private networks.  Publishing such a document and not addressing this
class of mistakes could mean that the IAB even endorses such poor
standards.