Process in finishing (Re: Consensus? #843 section 3.5 - ISOC BoT and overturning decisions)

--On 11. februar 2005 14:10 -0500 Margaret Wasserman <margaret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm also somewhat uncomfortable with the process that is resulting in
these changes (the ones that I have suggested, as well as the ones that I
don't like)...  We seem to be changing the document quite frequently
(faster than I feel I can keep up, sometimes multiple times between
actual revisions), and many of these changes are being made based on the
comments of one or two people.  In some cases (not this one) we are
making changes to text that has been stable in the document for months.

Are you sure that everyone who cares about this process is keeping up
with these changes?  Is there some plan for making sure that everyone is
still in-sync on a final version?  I think that an IETF LC is supposed to
serve that purpose, but we seem to have already held ours...

I continue to hold to the same theory: That I'll hold a DISCUSS for the document at least 7 days past its final change.

In calling for comments on the -06 version, I called for people to raise show-stopper issues. We have heard comments from the ISOC BoT that resulted from their legal review, and we have heard your comment that you dislike the language that seems to you to restrict the BoT's ability to act on issues that their fiduciary responsibility would require them to act on.

Since we had to spin a revision for these two things, my opinion was that we should also include a fix for Eric's IPR issue, since it seemed to reflect what we hae talked about but not encapsulated in the BCP, and we could do so while couching it as "advice, not rules".

That's all the changes for now.

The dates on the versions (published) are:

- 00: Nov 16
- 01: Dec 2
- 02: Dec 9
- 03: Dec 23
- 04: Jan 14
- 05: Jan 26
- 06: Feb 1

Our previous (October) schedule expected the -02 version to be the last one. The fact is - people did not stop raising issues, and some of the issues raised were important enough to spend time hashing out.

I do think we need to conclude this process and, as Brian Carpenter is fond of saying, "get on with it".

In the face of issues raised that people think are important, and that people disagree upon, I do not see that we have much choice in the process to follow.

-07 is now on the way to the I-D folks, 10 days after the previous version was published.

                        Harald