Re: ASCII diff of ISOC-proposed changes to BCP

Hi Dave,

Sitting on both sides of this particular fence, I actually _don't_ think that we have a strategic disagreement about who would control (using that term in it's normal English sense) this activity. The document is very clear that the IETF makes the rules about how the IASA will work (this BCP, for example), the IETF chooses 3/4 of the people who will run the IASA (the IAOC), the IAOC selects and hires the IAD, the IAOC and IAD to determine the policies, goals, budget, priorities and relationships of the IASA, _AND_ the IETF can move this function to a different corporate home if the IETF ever decides that is a good idea. The ISOC Board will have to approve some of those things (as indicated in this document and other IETF process documents), but the IETF is in the driver's seat.

Now, personally, I don't have a strong feeling about whether the word "controlled" or "managed" is used in the abstract. I wrote the original text that is under discussion, and I don't personally believe that either word runs counter to what I said in the first paragraph of this message, nor do I believe that either word can fully capture what I said in that paragraph. It is the job of the entire document to capture the relationship, and I'm not at all concerned about people who just read the abstract to decide how a complex function is supposed to work.

But, to a corporate lawyer, the word "control" doesn't seem to mean all of the stuff that I listed in the first paragraph... All of that stuff falls under the term "management". "Control" of an organization equates to "ownership" and/or "fiduciary responsibility". If I'm understanding this correctly (which I may not be), it isn't possible for the Board to give up "control" (in a legal sense) of any ISOC-housed activity. We can allow the activity to be completely managed by the IETF, but we are still responsible for the activity, and we have a fiduciary responsibility to understand the activity well-enough to know that it is being run legally and in a way that is consistent with ISOC's legal and tax status, etc.

So, with my ISOC Board hat on (a hat which none of the ISOC Board members are legally allowed to take off), I am not inclined to ignore legal advice from ISOC's corporate counsel. Maybe the IETF Chair could ask the IETF lawyer (Jorge) whether changing the word from "controlled" to "managed" has any bad legal implications for the IETF?

Margaret