Re: Last Call: 'Message Submission' to Draft Standard

--On torsdag, februar 10, 2005 12:54:53 -0500 Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

    >> 4.3.  Require Authentication
    >>
    >> The MSA MUST issue an error response to the MAIL FROM command
    >> if the session has not been authenticated using [SMTP-AUTH],
    >> unless it has already independently established authentication
    >> or authorization (such as being within a protected subnetwork).

This sounds like a change that requires recycling at proposed.

I could argue this both ways; every implementation that is valid under the draft standard would also be a valid implementation under the proposed one, but not vice versa; this is the same thing as with every other standard where some choices are clarified or restricted when moving to Draft.