Re: ietf-broadcast: Multicast / DVMRP not used anymore?

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:43:57 -0800 (PST)
 Joel Jaeggli <joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Simon Leinen wrote:
>

> > However I don't know how wide the "reach" of Internet multicast is, in
> > particular outside our education/research networking community (and
> > even within that community, multicast is only available to a
> > minority).
> >
> > Some broadband ISPs (at least here in Europe, but probably elsewhere
> > as well) have started to distribute TV-over-ADSL using IP multicast.
> > But I'm not sure whether they also provide their users with multicast
> > connectivity to the rest of the Internet.  Anyone knows?
>
> By-in-large they are not interested in the interdomain case. There has
> been a substantial investment in similar rollouts among asian broadband
> isps...

Yes indeed. This seems to be limited replacing older distribution methods from the head end to
(somewhere close to) the set top box. I have yet to find one that is interested in
interdomain multicast. (They already have infrastructure to get "their" channels, typically by
satellite, and they have no interest in other channels.) I think that this will only
change if sufficiently many internet video channels become popular enough that they can't ignore
them.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks