Re: ietf-broadcast: Multicast / DVMRP not used anymore?

Hadmut Danisch writes:
> I was just surprised by the fact that the
> mrouted package was removed from Debian Linux,
> because mbone / DVMRP (Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol)
> would not be used in Internet anymore.

I guess it's mostly true that DVMRP is no longer used for
Internet-wide multicast routing.

> I guess I've missed anything. Has multicast IP been
> abandoned or obsoleted?

No, only DVMRP.  There were several issues with trying to maintain a
global DVMRP-based multicast infrastructure.

Multicast routing in the Internet is mostly based on PIM-SM
(Protocol-Independent Multicast, Sparse Mode) these days.

> Can anyone give me a hint about where and why this has happened?

> What about the IETF broadcasts? Are they still delivered over
> multicast?

Yes, and I'm in Switzerland, listening to a radio station in Oregon
over IP multicast right now, so the infrastructure is still there for
people to use.

However I don't know how wide the "reach" of Internet multicast is, in
particular outside our education/research networking community (and
even within that community, multicast is only available to a
minority).

Some broadband ISPs (at least here in Europe, but probably elsewhere
as well) have started to distribute TV-over-ADSL using IP multicast.
But I'm not sure whether they also provide their users with multicast
connectivity to the rest of the Internet.  Anyone knows?
--
Simon.