Re: Perhaps clarify: #825 - IASA responsibilities regarding IPR

--On Monday, 31 January, 2005 16:04 -0500 Jeffrey Hutzelman
<jhutz@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>    The IASA is responsible for managing all IPR, including
>>    but not
>                                               ^^^
>>    limited to trademarks, domain names, and copyrights, that
>>    belongs to the IETF. It is responsible for undertaking any
>>    and all required actions on behalf of the IETF to obtain,
>>    protect and manage the rights that the IETF needs to carry
>>    out its work.
>
> - Please spell out "intellectual property rights".

yeah

> - Domain names are not IPR.

While I would personally agree with you, this assertion would
come as a surprise to, and be hotly contested by, many of those
who hang around ICANN.

> - What about patents?

What about them?  The IETF doesn't own any and, as far as I
know, doesn't want to own any and, given its mission, shouldn't
own any.  In the unlikely event that it needed patent licenses
to carry out its work (something that many of us would fight to
the last drop of the blood of whomever proposed it), those
licenses would be covered by the second sentence above.

    john