Re: Progressing Re: Progress report......

I believe the scenarios you are outlining are certainly possible. I don't (personally) believe that we can write rules or process steps to make them impossible. I also am concsiously saying "possible" without any prejudice about "likelihood". That is -- I have no opinion about the likelihood of these possible outcomes.

Because we can not make these things impossible, the only
thing we can reasonably do is apply judgement.  In this
case, I believe that requires having a designated human
being (or small group of human beings) sit down and discuss
with the parties involved.  These designated folks have
to apply judgement and take action based on their
understanding of the situation.  As I understand it,
that designated person/group are:  the IAD and IAOC.

That was a long-winded way of saying:  these are justified
concerns, but we are not as a group going to be able to
prove our way out of them; even the IAD-to-be is going
to have to say "in my judgement, we should do X".

So, to the earlier comment about negotiating backroom closed deals: I don't recognize anything in what has been done/is being proposed that fits that description.

My message last Friday aimed to do 3 things:

	. publicize that the transition team is (nothing
	  more than) aware of some ongoing CNRI-NeuStar negotiations

	. provide a list of expected operational guidelines
 	  for secretariat services in 2005, irrespective
	  of provider

	. observe that, from informal discussions we've
	  had so far, and given other factors (e.g.,
	  continuity), we (the transition team) can envision a
	  future where it would be a reasonable thing to
	  engage in a contract with NeuStar-post-CNRI-deal
	  that would live up to those operational guidelines.

But the proof is still in the pudding: we (IETF in general, TT in particular) have not seen so much as a draft of a proposed contract for 2005 Secretariat services, from anyone. It is our anticipation that the order of operations would be:

	1. a contract will be proposed, and negotiated by
	   the IAD
	2. if such negotiations lead to a final contract that
	   is consistent with those guidelines (including
	   ability to apply performance review), we have
	   an option to pursue
	3. if said negotiations do not yield such a contract,
	   or if no such contract proposal appears reasonably
	   soon,  the IASA (on behalf of the IETF) is going to
	   have to strike out and develop an independent RFP
	   process if it is to meet the requirements of the BCP.

Given Bob Kahn's recent message, I think people reading this
list will understand that there would likely be resistance
from CNRI to point #3.

I personally believe we *all* benefit from making #2 work (including
the requirement that the contract moves us beyond where we
have been for the last N years with Secretariat, and is
in line with what the IASA is supposed to be about).

But we are still talking about work that *will* have to be
done (negotiating) -- there are no secrets to be exposed
from backrooms in terms of deals cut already.  At least, not
that I am aware of!

Leslie.