Re: Rough consensus? #425 3.5

I agree with you that pre-decision comments are preferable and that
processes and procedures should allow these comments.

I also agree that the example I proposed cannot happen under current
procedures because there is not a comment window for meeting
locations.  I do not intend to speak to whether such a window would be
a good idea.

However, failure to take adequate comments before making a decision
seems like a reasonable justification from my standpoint for reviewing
that decision.  Depending on the consequences of doing so it may even
be appropriate to reverse such decisions.  There is significant but
*not infinite* cost to reversing a decision.  There can also be
significant cost to having a bad decision.  There is also a cost to
the review process itself.

My expectation is that the review process will be used infrequently
enough that the cost of reviewing and reversing decisions will be less
than the cost of bad decisions.

I fully understand that I may be wrong; we may need to add procedural
safeguards if the cost of review ends up being too high in practice.

Question: do you see cases where if a problem developed we'd be unable
to deploy safeguards fast enough or unwilling to deploy the safeguards
even given an actual instead of theoretical problem?  How likely do
you see these situations?

--Sam