Re: Rough consensus? #425 3.5

At 00:21 20/01/2005, Leslie Daigle wrote:
Interesting...
To the extent that the IAD and IAOC are dealing with
decisions about implementing requirements, I agree.

To the extent that the IAD and IAOC are applying judgement
to interpret the "best needs of the IETF" (i.e., determining
those requirements), I disagree.  I think it's a little
heavy-handed to have to instigate a recall procedure if the
IAD (or IAOC) seem not to have heard the *community's* requirements
for meeting location.

So, (how) can we make the distinction without creating a
decision tree of epic proportions?

Just say that they are to consult the IETF when they do not feel sure about the "best needs of the IETF". A recall procedure would probably not be called the first time, even if the issue is important (preserving stability), but can be called even on a small issue if they repeatedly do not consult the IETF when a disagreement/uncertainity is obvious.

So, the recall procedure is not on a possibly disputed case - the dispute would harm the whole IETF - but on a repeated Management poor practice where accumulated displeasure will probably make the case less disputed. It also permits IETF to vote warnings.

jfc