Re: individual submission Last Call -- default yes/no.

[note - this note does NOT talk about the language tags document]
Recent standards-track/BCP RFCs that came in as individual submisssions (you can tell this from the draft name in the rfc-editor.xml file):

RFC 3936 - draft-kompella-rsvp-change
RFC 3935 - draft-alvestrand-ietf-mission
RFC 3934 - draft-wasserman-rfc2418-ml-update
RFC 3915 - draft-hollenbeck-epp-rgp
RFC 3912 - draft-daigle-rfc954bis

Apart from draft-alvestrand, I don't remember any of these causing much of a stir at Last Call. Still, I think the decision to advance them was appropriate.
The usual case for an individual submission is, I think:

- there are a number of people who see a need for it
- there are a (usually far lower) number of people who are willing to work on it
- someone thinks that this isn't controversial enough for a WG, isn't work enough that the extra effort of setting up a WG is worth it, is too urgently needed to wait for a WG to get up to speed, or other version of "doesn't fit with our WG process
- nobody's significantly opposed to getting the work done

A "default no" doesn't seem like a correct procedure here.

             Harald