RE: Excellent choice for summer meeting location!

Bruce Lilly <> supposedly scribbled:

>>  Date: 2005-01-01 21:20
>>  From: "Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <gwz@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>> Yes, I did (though I admit I see little humor is the story).
>> However, my main point was not so much that we would die in droves
>> (or at all); more to the point is the question of why we seem to go
>> out of our way to find unpleasant weather for our meetings.
>
> I suspect that's not a primary consideration. OTOH, it's probably a
> beneficial side-effect considering the criticism that another
> organization whose abbreviated name also begins with "I" has
> attracted due to its choice of balmy, chic, and expensive meeting
> venues...

Are you talking about the IEEE?  I've not been regularly attending 802 for awhile now but when I was the favorite spot seemed to be the DFW Hyat (hardly balmy or chic).

>>> Of course, the MAXIMUM temperatures quoted in the *exceptional*
>>> Paris summer of 2003 were 104 degrees Fahrenheit;
>>
>> 2003 was, indeed, exceptional.  OTOH, it is hardly exceptional that
>> everyone who can leave the city in August, does.  This is no doubt
>> because it is just so damn pleasant they can't stand it, right?
>
> No, it's because (nearly) everybody goes on vacation at the same time.
>
>> As the old joke about Hell goes, "It ain't the heat, it's the
>> humidity."
>
> Would you prefer New York or Tokyo in July-September? Both cities
> frequently have Summer temperatures near or above 100 F with humidity
> near 100%. [And several millions of inhabitants in each metropolitan
> area cope with the climate]

Merely because one can find someplace worse doesn't make bad good.

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel