RE: Excellent choice for summer meeting location!

Iljitsch van Beijnum <mailto:iljitsch@xxxxxxxxx> supposedly
scribbled:

> On 2-jan-05, at 3:20, Glen Zorn ((gwz)) wrote:
>
>>> Of course, the MAXIMUM temperatures quoted in the *exceptional*
>>> Paris summer of 2003 were 104 degrees Fahrenheit;
>
>> 2003 was, indeed, exceptional.  OTOH, it is hardly exceptional
that
>> everyone who can leave the city in August, does.  This is no
doubt
>> because it is just so damn pleasant they can't stand it, right?
>
> Well, AFAIK _everywhere_ in the US having air conditioning at home
is
> common,

Actually, hardly anyone has AC here in Seattle because historically
it's been unneeded.

> while this is rare in middle / northern Europe. Don't forget
> we are located much further to the north than major population
> centers elsewhere in the world.
>
> Even though august is the warmest month, I think going on vacation
> during that time is more a cultural thing than a climatological
one.
> I don't know how many vacation days people get in France, but I'm
> pretty sure it's much more than what people in the US get (here in
> Holland it's 22 or 24 days a year minimum).
>
> But anyway, if a conference center/hotel is going to hold more
than a
> thousand people, they'll have to have air conditioning, and if you
> don't skimp on the hotel it will have this as well, so you'll be
> exposed to the blistering Paris heat for just a few hours a day...

I hope so: as I recall, the air conditioning at the hotel in Munich
was completely inadequate, to the point that people were passing out
in conference rooms...

> (And what I understand from the extra deaths due to the heat is
that
> it's people who die slightly earlier than they would have
otherwise.
> If it were a more fundamental problem this would shed a very
> different light on the US practice to ship the elderly off to
> Florida...)

We do not "ship the elderly off" to Florida (or Arizona, etc.).
Only those who can afford to, go; and I assure you, they have AC.

> BTW, how much worse are the Minneapolis temperatures in march vs
> those in november?

Let's not go there: for some reason the powers-that-be have decided
that it's a great idea to gather at least once if not twice a year
in a place where people live like pet rodents, scurrying through
tunnels to avoid their own homicidal weather and (apparently) a trip
to the Mall (always capitalized, like "God" or "Rome") is considered
to be a "social" event.  I don't understand & I don't think I want
to, though a forensic psychologist might find it a rich area for
research.

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by
simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel