Re: #720 and #725 - Appeals and IAD autonomy

John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> --On Thursday, 23 December, 2004 13:31 -0800 Carl Malamud
> <carl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [John Klensin wrote:]
>>
>>> (i) the IESG, or the IESG's leadership, is likely to
>>> micromanage because it has tended to micromanage, or try to
>>> do so, many of the things it has touched in the last several
>>> years...

   John Klensin, I think, is in a position to know whether this is
so. I haven't seen evidence that he's wrong...

>> Hmmm .... I don't see how worrying this particular BCP to
>> death is going to change any of that.  You're talking some
>> pretty  fundmamental doom-and-gloom stuff.  If things are that
>> broken, could any BCP fix them?

   Well, we've had at least partial success on previous tries...

   But that's really not the point. We should ask, will _this_ BCP
tend to make that situation better or worse?

> Well, that is one of the reasons why several members of the
> community have tried to comment, several times, that the Admin
> Reorg effort is addressing problems that are either irrelevant
> or not on the critical path.

   Indeed. The lack of agreement what _is_ the critical path has
made this process difficult.

> And I have observed that all of them, after having been ignored,
> have simply dropped out of the discussion.

   This is not the way consensus is supposed to work: that things
get dragged out until only like-minded people are still around.
Consensus is supposed to consider issues raised by even very small
minorities, and try to satisfy all reasonable persons that their
concerns are addressed.

>>> ... But I'm concerned about even the possibility of
>>> bagels-by-appeal, or bagels-by-IESG/IAB-overriding IAD decisions,
>>> even while realizing that particular example is (deliberately)
>>> unlikely.

   This example is sufficiently unlikely that one is tempted to
dismiss it, and miss the baby being thrown out with the bathwater.

   I'm not so much worried about IESG actually _appealing_ the
decision on where to get bagels as I am about language which seems
to encourage anyone who doesn't like the bagels to _ask_ the IESG
to appeal it. Inevitable, somebody will claim to have heard that
<some-very-important-person> didn't like the bagels, at which
point it will be hard for any Chair to avoid wasting time talking
about bagels. :^(

   The whole idea here, I thought, was to set up a support structure
which would just work -- so that it could be "invisible" to the IESG
and never need to be discussed by that group. (The problem, I thought,
was that shortcomings of the current Secretariat were entirely too
visible; and the IESG was spinning its wheels discussing them.)

>>> And, as I said, the issue I'm raising is a key management and
>>> management-relationships principle.  Whether one agrees with
>>> it or not, characterizing it as a corner case seems to me
>>> like a stretch.

   Let's review what John Klensin asked for:
"
"  * the IETF has got to keep its hands off the day-to-day
"    decisions, even when they seem wrong
"
"  * the IESG and IAB need to be prohibited structurally
"    from micromanaging, or managing at all, beyond the
"    degree that the IAOC wants to permit.  They supply
"    input, they make requests, but decisions rest on the
"    IAOC side of the wall and stay there, with the only
"    _real_ recourse being to fire the IAOC

   This doesn't sound like a "corner case" to me.

>>> You may have noted that I've said virtually nothing, on or
>>> off-list, about editorial matters that don't impact principles
>>> except sometimes to suggest that excess detail be removed.
>>> That is not an accident.  It is consistent, I think, with
>>> your desire to get this cooked and out but without pushing
>>> important issues under the proverbial rug in the process.
>>>
>>> YMMD, of course, and likely does.
>>
>> It does.  I've seen a remarkable degree of consensus, a few
>> tweaks on a few things, but no huge disagreement that the
>> principles are wrong.  It may not be a great document, the
>> framework may not be ideal, but I think y'all should move on
>> and get back to some real work.  :)

   I respect Carl's belief... but I respect John Klensin's worry
more.

> And I think that a large fraction of that "remarkable degree of
> consensus" is consensus by exhaustion of most of the community.
> I've even heard from several IAB and IESG members that they have
> been exhausted by the process and can't deal with it any more.

   They shouldn't have to!

   If what we design doesn't make their job easier, and reduce
the non-Internet things they need to worry about, this whole
process will be a terrible mistake.

   I have a great deal of respect for Harald. He's done a very
good job of managing a very difficult process. The process is an
exhausting one -- we're trying to replace a totally unique process
which _used_to_ work well for us with a slightly less unique
process which none of us have experience with.

   Beliefs run strong. Legitimate concerns arise at every turn.
Patience is needed here.

   I strongly recommend we wait for the next draft, so we can be
sure we're on the same page. Harald's probably doing better than
we may think he is. We _really_don't_ need arguments about whether
concerns are "legitimate" or "corner-cases" today.

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>