Re: #720 and #725 - Appeals and IAD autonomy

Mostly ok with me.

On 22 dec 2004, at 10.21, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

Suggested resolution:

1) Make a separate section for the appeals stuff in 3.4 (for clarity), so that this becomes section 3.5

2) Change the section to read:

If someone believes that the IAOC has made a decision that is clearly
not in the IETF's best interest, he or she can ask the IETF leadership
to investigate the
matter, using the same procedure as is used for appeals of procedural
issues in the IETF, starting with the IESG.

Well, if we follow the current process, they should be able to appeal directly to the IAOC and then escalate it as normal.

In cases where appeals concern legally-binding actions of the IAOC (hiring, signed contracts, etc.), the bodies handling the appeal may advise the IAOC, but are not authorized to make or unmake any legally binding agreements on the part of IASA.

In cases where no legally-binding actions are at stake, the bodies
handling the appeal may nullify the IAOC decision and ask IAOC to restart
its decision process.

Is it necessary to restart the process. I can imagine cases where it would be sufficient to reconsider something that it had failed to consider. I would suggest substituting reconsider for restart.

(mostly suggestion from Margaret)

3) Add the following to the IAOC's role in 3.2:

  The IAOC will hear and respond to concerns from the community about
  the activities of the IASA.

Even though it is slightly redundant, I would like to see it specifically include a final clause

     activities of the IASA, including actions by the IAD.

Does this make sense, or are we leaning too far in the "too many appeals" direction?

I think it makes sense and that we are not leaning in the 'too many appeals' direction. I believe that the history of appeals, and recalls for that matter, show that they are relatively few, especially when things are running well. The process is new, and there may be a flurry of initial concerns, and these must be handled well for the community to gain confidence in the IASA.

The wording 'hear and respond to' should allow for a light weight but due diligence procedure. We will only enter the domain of appeals, in the formal sense of the word, if the community believe that the IAOC is not handling this properly.

a.