Re: IASA BCP -02 Designated Donations - section 5.3

"Lynn St.Amour" <st.amour@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> At 5:46 AM -0800 12/13/04, Eric Rescorla wrote:
>>
>>As I read this section, the intention is to ensure that donors
>>who wish their funds to be used by IASA can do so easily, rather
>>than being forced to donate them to ISOC in general. I don't
>>think this is actually an instance in which our interests
>>are all entirely aligned,
>
> If we look at this as a partnership, I don't understand why not.   If
> one looks at ISOC as only a funding mechanism for the IETF, this might
> seem to be the case.   Our interests should be more aligned than
> simply financially.

I agree with that, but that doesn't mean that our interests
are entirely aligned. Indeed, partnerships are a situation
in which it pays to take particular care to one's contracting
arrangements because the respective point of alignment and
disalignment are less obvious.

>>since it would obviously be more
>>convenient for ISOC to have full discretion over the dispersal
>>of funds, though it would provide fewer guarantees to IASA
>>in terms of revenue flow.
>>
>>Could you explain a little further what flexibility this language
>>removes?
>
> over 80% of ISOC's org. members donate less than $10K annually and
> managing these in a 'restricted accounting manner' requires more
> effort and overhead.

What fraction of the aggregate income comes from such donors?

> And, language such as that in the BCP  would require changes to our
> membership programs (reducing our flexibility wrt future program
> development) and consistent with other decisions to remove operational
> detail from the BCP, it seems as though this language should be
> removed as well.
>
> Finally, revamping membership/funding programs should not be done in a
> piecemeal manner and with the model proposed we risk drawing fairly
> arbitrary lines re designating support to the IETF vs. support to
> other ISOC/IETF (technical) education and policy programs.

Hmm... It's precisely those lines that I am concerned that we should
draw.

-Ekr