Re: Adminrest: created IPR

on 2004-12-02 9:58 am Brian E Carpenter said the following:
> Scott Bradner wrote:
>> the new draft asks:
>>       Do we need wording about the ownership of IETF tools and data?  We
>>       have some text (in Section 2.2) about IPR, but does that fully
>>       cover tools and data?
>>
>> fwiw - my intention in the text that is now 2.2(6) was to cover the
>> tools and data
>
> Subject to legal advice, that seems OK to me. But maybe we should make
> a word or two to make the rights irrevocable.

I'm not sure if the current text clearly implies that tools created
for the IASA by a contractor, and data collected for the IASA by a
contractor shall be openly available.

And maybe a separate point, would it be desirable when we talk
about tools and data in particular, to specify that the IASA must
ensure that tools developed by a contractor for the IETF or IASA must
be open source, and that data collected by a contractor for the IETF
or IASA must be available in a documented machine-readable format?
Or is this to go into too much details...

	Henrik