RE: AdminRest: IASA BCP: section 5 - IASA Funding

Scott, w.r.t. your rcomments on IASA Funding section.
I will be doing a separate posting with some questions,
but wanted to try and respond to your specific comments first,
see below.

> section 5
>
> I'm not that sure that this document should be so specific as to say
> that the IAOC has a separate bank account - seems to me that the

well, that is how we tried to address the below principles.

> following principals need to be established
> 	1/ that all of the IETF-related funds have to be fully and
> 	   transparently accounted for

agreed

> 	2/ that the ISOC will ensure that there are adequate funds to
> 	   cover the budgeted activities of the IAOC when they are needed

I guess you mean IASA instead of IAOC
Other than that, agreed

> 	3/ the IAD (or another designated member of the IAOC in case of
> 	   the disability or unavailability of the IAD) has an ability to
> 	   commit funds (e.g. direct that checks be cut and sent - that
> 	   could be by giving the IAD the right to sign checks or just
> 	   the authority to direct that checks be signed - I do not
> 	   think there is a difference in day to day operation)

agreed.

I also believe that we (IETF) want to ensure that reserve funds get
build and that all the funds that have been alloocated to IASA/IETF
stay with IASA for IASA to use for IETF admin support functions.

> section 5.1
>    All meeting revenues go into the IASA account.
>
> note that there may be a startup phase where this is not the case
> because the existing systems will be in place until RFPs are created,

I agree that during startup things may be a bit different. But do we
have to describe transitional things in the BCP ?

It seems you agree we (IETF) need/want to have a special bank account
for collecting the meeting fees, do you? Not 100% clear to me if you do.

> section 5.2
> why not just say that the ISOC should not accept any in-kind donations
> for the IETF without the prior OK of the IAD/IAOC?

Is that just a matter of wording/clarity?
I assume you are speaking about the "usefulness" of in-kind donations,
right?

> sec 5.3 pp1
> this is far to proscriptive - I do not think that the authors of this
> document or the general IETF community are accounts - lets
> establish the
> requirement that funds be available when needed but not try to dictate
> the best way for that to be done - let the accountants figure that out
>
> a simple point is that the document asks for quarterly deposits for a
> process that has peak funding needs 3 times a year - that does not mesh

Again, initially that may not mesh, but once we have reserve funds build
up, then that should not be a problem from the IASA/IETF side, should it?
Maybe it is a problem from ISOC side, that I do not yet know.

> I could easily see that it would be better to not have a separate
> account and just use ISOC's regular processes - I would rather this
> document not make an assumption on what the ISOC external accountants
> might recommend (or insist on) for this sort of thing

We'll need to check with them.

> sec 5.3 pp2
> see above - this should just fall under a general requirement that all
> ISOC funding etc related to the IETF (and IASA) must be fully and
> publicly accounted for - I see nothing special over insurance
> - any more than I would see that such a requirement would not cover
> office expenses if the IAD where to be located in an ISOC office
> (in the US or elsewhere) or cover any employee specific expenses like
> health benefits

May I assume that other responses have made it clear that we in principle
seme to agree and that the "insurance" thing is just an example?

> section 5.4
> 	I think this is almost right - I think it should say that the
> aim is for there to be 6 months of non-meeting expenses available for
> the IASA - I suggest this because it does not limit how the reserve
> could be provided (maybe as part of a general ISOC line of credit, or
> immediately available investment account)

Others have suggested that we must have the reserves in an IASA account
as well. Not sure we have consensus yet on what we (IETF) want/need.

Bert