Re: Why people by NATs

--On Monday, 22 November, 2004 08:33 -0800 Fred Baker
<fred@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, but be careful with that. What has happened at Linksys
> and others is that they have come up with a simple
> configuration that allows them to sell a pre-configured device
> to a client, advertise a few features that clients like, and
> sell them like hotcakes with little or no support costs. What
> the customer is buying is not, in most cases, "uses private
> addressing to separate your IP address space from that of your
> ISP so that if you move you will not have to reconfigure
> things." That may be what Linksys etc is selling, but what the
> customer is buying is "plug it in and it will work." Any
> configuration that gives the customer simplicity of
> implementation by a non-expert in the technology will meet
> their needs.

Fred, while I agree completely with this, we all need to
understand that it has another implication.   If the customer is
offered a snazzy new IPv6 device, using public address space,
that fails to offer "plug it in and it will work", then the
customer is unlikely to buy it.  The odds go down even further
if the customer is expected to become a network expert, or even
a junior apprentice amateur network expert, to configure the
thing.  And that situation is likely to exist, IMO, regardless
of what real or imagined advantages come from IPv6 and/or
public-accessible address space and/or NAT elimination.

    john