RE: TCP bandwidth usage was: Yahoo is not using ESMTP

> Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:
> What Michael said. This is probably below the radar for now
> because, so far, BitTorrent trading of large files (regular TV
> shows and pirated movies) is more popular in Asia and Europe
> than in the US.

Indeed, I made that very point on Nanog a couple months ago. But it will arrive in America sooner or later and I don't see anything stopping that freight train. Plenty of overseas torrent sites (such as www.torrentbits.org, located in the NL) are in English, no language barrier here.

> Even on the well-known BitTorrent ports, there is a *huge*
> amount of trading going on.

Approaching a petabyte per day (that's right, 1K terabytes) me thinks. And it might get worse soon: double-layer DVD burners are out (I bought one for $79 last week), in a short while we will see blank double-layer DVDs at the current DVD-R prices ($0.40 a pop) and images that are 8.7 GBytes instead of 4.7 GBytes. Christmas 2005: blue ray DVDs :-( $DEITY help ISPs.

<conspiracy theory>
Cisco is supporting 10+ Gbyte file swap to sell more CRS-1s.
Juniper is supporting 10+ Gbyte file swap to sell more T-640s.
</conspiracy theory>

> To make things more difficult for the law, a good chunk of
> that trading is completely legitimate, allowed-use music
> trading of artists who actively encourage trading of live
> show recordings.

And some that encourage distributing software and/or software updates that way. I foresee small players publishing a torrent instead of having their FTP site, and seed it only with a few low-bandwidth machines. BitTorrent was not originally designed to swap illegal content.

Technically speaking, hard to take it down too. Last week, I successfully tested resuming multiple downloads with re-published torrents pointing to a different tracker than the original one that was taken down. No problem.

And it's not such a big deal to run a big site, apparently:
> TorrentBits.org is situated on a dedicated server in the Netherlands.
> For the moment we have monthly running costs of approximately â 213.

Private torrent site for 100,000 users....

Michel.