Re: IPv6 in the network, please

Ironic given the recent press announcements by Airespace, which seemed
to have jumped the gun a little ;)

First fully IPv6-compatible WLAN kit available
- October 27, 2004, 11:40 BST
- Airespace has become the first WLAN OEM to announce support for the IPv6 protocol in its products
- http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/networks/0,39020345,39171566,00.htm

Thanks for all the work on this though - much appreciated!

There are other real problems with companies/products like BlueSocket that
do not support authentication/admission for WLAN users based on IPv6 traffic,
and that have no plans to introduce such support.

Tim

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 01:09:44PM -0500, Jeff Young wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> >From: Ben Crosby <ben.m.crosby@xxxxxxxxx>
> >Date: November 10, 2004 12:07:08 PM EST
> >To: jeffrey.s.young@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: IPv6
> >
> >Folks,
> >
> >	To expand on Jeff's explanation of the IPv6 status here at IETF61;
> >The entire network, both wired and wireless, was designed from the
> >get-go as being IPv6 capable. It also had a very real and major
> >requirement to be stable in the face of hundreds of clients all at
> >100% transmit power, rogue APs,  and all the other problems that have
> >plagued previous IETF wireless networks. The good folks at Airespace
> >seemed to have a system that met this goal, and as we all can see, it
> >indeed works well.
> >
> >	However, when we asked Airespace to join us in this adventure, it
> >became clear that the "intelligence" of their system worked through
> >tracking IPv4 DHCP requests, and thus wouldn't work with IPv6. This
> >lack of IPv6 support was nearly a show stopper, however Airespace
> >jumped through some major hoops to design, implement, and deploy code
> >that monitors RAs and RSs specifically to handle IPv6 for this
> >network.
> >
> >	Like most brand new code, when we deployed it, we encountered
> >problems. Problems that lead to instability in ALL wireless network
> >access. After several long days and nights of working on this long
> >before the first attendees arrived (we've been on site since Tuesday
> >2nd - Election Day ;) we decided to disable the IPv6 support on the
> >wireless network, rather than risk the overall network stability.
> >Airespace continues to work on the problems, and we believe that we
> >have a reasonable interim solution.
> >
> >	We have phased in a new image with limited deployment, which we will
> >monitor. If we experience no problems, IPv6 will be back on the
> >wireless lan, however we need to maintain the overall stability of the
> >wireless network as our highest priority.
> >
> >	For those who need IPv6 on wireless:
> >
> >	SSID: ietf61v6
> >	WEP Key: thisisav6wlan
> >	Hex: 746869736973617636776c616e
> >
> >	Coverage will be available in Georgetown, Lincoln, Jefferson, Monroe,
> >Military and Hemisphere. You should not associate with this wireless
> >network if you need stable IPv4. This is a dedicated network with new
> >AP's and a new controller.
> >
> >	My thanks to our volunteer staff who worked to deploy this network in
> >the late hours last night (and very early hours this morning) after
> >the social event.
> >
> >	For those that are inconvenienced by the loss of IPv6, I sincerely
> >apologize, and remind you that native IPv6 is available at every wired
> >port in the terminal room.
> >
> >	Thanks for bearing with us, and have a good meeting!
> >
> >	- Ben Crosby
> >	Alcatel / IETF61 NOC

Tim

North American IPv6 Task Force Technologist Seminar
More info at http://www.ipv6seminar.com/