RE: Shuffle those deck chairs!

This text does not seem to cover what we usually encounter in protocol
development.  What happens is that you claim a patent that would be
infringed by implementing the protocol.  Another company has its own patent
that it also claims would be infringed by implementing the protocol.  You
are willing to grant a worldwide, royalty free license to the patent to
anyone, including the other company, so long as the other company doesn't
try to force you to pay a royalty or take out a more restrictive license to
his patent.

Take a look at:
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/DYNAMICSOFT-SIMPLE.txt

for an example.