Re: Copying conditions

Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> hmmmm.....
>
> --On 7. oktober 2004 13:12 +0200 Simon Josefsson <jas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> As far as I can tell, those rights are only granted to the ISOC and
>> the IETF, not "third parties".
>
> Solely for the purpose of using the term in RFC 3667, the IETF is defined
> as:
>
>   a. "IETF":  In the context of this document, the IETF includes all
>      individuals who participate in meetings, working groups, mailing
>      lists, functions and other activities which are organized or
>      initiated by ISOC, the IESG or the IAB under the general
>      designation of the Internet Engineering Task Force or IETF, but
>      solely to the extent of such participation.
>
> So this means that Simon Josefsson is allowed to exercise the rights Scott
> quoted and incorporate the executable pieces into running code, but the guy
> on the next desk, who isn't on any IETF mailing list, is not, even though
> they work on the same project, for the same employer, under the same laws.
> If he joins an IETF list (any IETF list), he's allowed to.

I don't believe I, nor "he", would be able to represent the IETF in a
court, as the legal owner for a work, merely because I ("he")
participate in some mailing list.  As far as I can tell, that would
ultimately be required if you were to defend the rights to your work.

If, instead, "third parties" where granted rights to create a
derivative work from RFCs, both I and "he" could represent such a
"third party".

Btw, I don't believe I'm a member of any IETF mailing list, although I
do participate in them.  Hint: gmane.org.

Thanks,
Simon