Re: Copying conditions

sob@xxxxxxxxxxx (scott bradner) writes:

>> If you extract, say, a C header file, or an ASN.1 schema, from an RFC
>> into an application, I believe that may be regard as a "derivative
>> work".
>
> see RFC 3667 Section 3.3 (a) (E)

   a. To the extent that a Contribution or any portion thereof is
      protected by copyright and other rights of authorship, the
      Contributor, and each named co-Contributor, and the organization
      he or she represents or is sponsored by (if any) grant a
      perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, world-wide
      right and license to the ISOC and the IETF under all intellectual
      property rights in the Contribution:

>       (E)  to extract, copy, publish, display, distribute, modify and
>            incorporate into other works, for any purpose (and not
>            limited to use within the IETF Standards Process) any
>            executable code or code fragments that are included in any
>            IETF Document (such as MIB and PIB modules), subject to the
>            requirements of Section 5 (it also being understood that the
>            licenses granted under this paragraph (E) shall not be deemed
>            to grant any right under any patent, patent application or
>            other similar intellectual property right disclosed by the
>            Contributor under [IETF IPR]).

As far as I can tell, those rights are only granted to the ISOC and
the IETF, not "third parties".

Thanks.