Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

esr@xxxxxxxxxxx (Eric S. Raymond)  wrote on 05.10.04 in <20041005045722.GA30817@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> In the last 60 days, the IETF has taken the worst blow to its
> credibility that I have observed in the entire history of the
> organization.  I refer, of course, to the Sender-ID debacle, which
> exposed IETF's inability or unwillingness to defend Internet
> standards against patent predation even when the existence of
> prior art is readily establishable.

Strangely enough, those exact same events gave me hope that the IETF is
not yet hopeless.

I count this one as a win.

Because the evil patent side (i.e., MS) *failed* to get their patented
baby (which it turns out now probably isn't even theirs in the first
place) made into an Internet standard.

Before this had been played out, I had been rather afraid that they'd win
this round.

Instead, they lost, and we won.

Why is that bad?

MfG Kai