RE: sob@xxxxxxxxxxx is not long for the world

Can we start a petition to have sob@xxxxxxxxxxx restored??

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott O. Bradner <sob@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2024 3:28 PM
To: ietf <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: sob@xxxxxxxxxxx is not long for the world

[You don't often get email from sob@xxxxxxxxx. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

EXTERNAL EMAIL

Tomorrow, August 15, Harvard is going to kill sob@xxxxxxxxxxx.

I normally would not broadcast an address change notice to this list but the address sob@xxxxxxxxxxxx is present on quite a few RFCs, including the most referenced RFC of all time :-).

A few weeks ago, I received notice that since my last teaching contract with the university ended on July 1st their automated processes were going to delete my university accounts on August 15th.

sob@xxxxxxxxxxx happens to be the oldest email address at Harvard University, I created it when I set up the first university email aliasing system in the early 1980s. (Before then I was sob at HARV10, SOB at WJH12 (bitnet) and *!genrad!wjh12!sob)

But the university values process over history (or at least the automaton that is doing this does)

so it goes

 So, if you want to get in touch with me, please use sob@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:sob@xxxxxxxxx>

 Thanks
 Scott