Re: Internet-Draft draft-rsalz-2026bis-00.txt is now available.

+1 to doing this work.  Thanks Rich for starting this effort.

+1 to something like
draft-loughney-newtrk-one-size-fits-all.  I had started writing a similar draft.

I imagine that this will become a huge bikeshed, but I would also like there to be consideration as to whether we should review whether the other existing IETF categories are right.  E.g., perhaps we should have a category for “Architecture/Framework” documents.  Today, I think that they are often classified as Informational, with correspondingly a bit less review.  But given that they are invariably cited by standards track documents, they also end up being a down ref.  Instead, I would either like a separate category for these documents at the same level as IS/PS or for the description of IS/PS to include architecture/framework documents.

In terms of splitting documents – I would like the really core stages of the IETF standards process to be in an BCP, but any of the details that can change would be better on IETF webpages, still with community consensus, but with a lighter process than publishing a new RFC, and also much easier to have a single set of pages that describe the current process for participants to follow rather than dozens of process RFCs + dozens of IESG statements.  An example of this might be the IESG balloting procedures, which Mark, IIRC, recently tried to codify into an RFC.  I personally think that this would be a mistake (we have too many process RFCs) but having these rules/conventions on IETF webpages with some level of community consensus might be a reasonable alternative.

In summary, yes to a BOF, with 3 goals:

  1. To cleanup what we have.
  2. To take efforts to try and simplify and streamline the process where possible.
  3. To make the process easier to find/follow for all participants in general, but particularly for new IETF participants.

Regards,
Rob