[Last-Call] Re: Last Call: <draft-wkumari-rfc8110-to-ieee-02.txt> (Transferring Opportunistic Wireless Encryption to the IEEE 802.11 Working Group) to Informational RFC

Hi Eric,

I think your proposal makes sense.  When the RFC derived from this ID is published, you can add a link to RFC 8110 with the usual "updated-by" pointing to the new RFC.  Anyone reviewing that will then get the onward pointer to the IEEE work.

That's in the spirit of RFC 2854, which both registered text/html as a mime type and provided the onward pointers away from the IETF work on HTML to the W3C's work that superseded it.  In that particular case, the document came along late enough that the work in the W3C was complete; as a result, RFC 2854 obsoletes RFC 1980, RFC 1967, RFC 1866, and RFC 2070.  Crucially, it does so based on the onward pointers and not work documented in the RFC itself.  I think you can safely use that pattern to update RFC 8110 with this document.  If you really want to be thorough, you can update this document at some later time to note the completed IEEE work and then use the update to obsolete RFC 8110 and this document, but I frankly feel like the pointer to the IEEE in this is enough.

Just my opinion, of course,

regards,

Ted