[Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc7958bis-03

Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
Review result: Ready with Issues

by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

<https://wiki.ietf.org/en/group/gen/GenArtFAQ>.

Document: draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc7958bis-03
Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
Review Date: 2024-08-02
IETF LC End Date: 2024-08-08
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

The document is clear and detailed in all its technical aspects. I have two
issues that I would suggest to be addressed before approval. If they are
already addressed indirectly I would be glad to be pointed to the text. I
categorized them as Minor, as they probably do not impact interoperability
within the same version of the mechanism.

Major issues:

Minor issues:

1. Section 1.2 includes a detailed list of changes from RFC 7985 which is fine.
What I am missing, however, is a clear description of the motivation that led
to the update. Was that to include the content of the Errata? Was it because of
operational or security problems in the deployment? Something else.

2. Is there a requirement for backwards interoperability with the format and
publication mechanisms described in RFC 7958. If yes, how is this ensured? In
any case, what is IANA instructed to do with the old records?

Nits/editorial comments:

Section 1.2 mentions 'Added an IANA Considerations section' as a change from
RFC 7598. Actually there is an IANA Considerations section in RFC 7598. So
probably what was meant was probably 'Updated the RFC Considerations Section'.