Re: TELNET to not entirely HISTORIC Re: FTP

It appears that John C Klensin  <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> said:
>The other, more constructive, thought is very much along the lines
>you suggest above.  Rather than continuing this seemingly endless
>discussion, could those who believe that Something Should Be Done
>about Telnet (and/or FTP) get together and generate a draft for an
>Applicability Statement that carefully explains the problems and
>disadvantages of continued use of those protocols and explores the
>alternatives for typical cases. ...

That seems like a plausible way forward.

At the risk of ocean boiling, there are a lot of internets that are
not the Internet, and often they are more like the early Internet: the
operator knows who all the users are, none of them are likely to be
hostile, and the computing resources are severely limited. It would be
interesting, albeit a lot of work, to look at our protocols and see
how many remain appropriate for that kind of environment even if
no longer for the modern hostile Internet.

R's,
John