Re: TELNET to HISTORIC Re: FTP

As to the TELNET and FTP to historic discussion, may I add, for your consideration:

TELNET and FTP are not the most suitable protocols anymore for today's hostile environment that is the Internet.

Easy to use on a windows machine, a penguin box or a Mac.

However, there are plenty of cases where "just use SSH" does not work:

 * Think embedded controllers with limited resources, like small
   micro-controllers. "But you should just use a bigger controller, it
   is not 1980 anymore" - some controllers live in an environment that
   needs to be kept on-temperature with an accuracy of one thousandth
   of a degree and there, self-heating micro-controllers is something
   you really do *not* want. Other electronics works in a vacuum
   environment and suddenly, cooling of self-heating electronics is
   more involved.
 * Other controllers have strict real-time response requirements, for
   instance because control movements of very heavy objects with an
   acceleration of many G's. On those, a debug facility using telnet
   can be added w/o too much issue, however just think the processing
   power required to do knapsack re-keying to do a "SSH session
   re-key": if a board is doing real-time stuff then you do NOT want
   something compute-intensive competing with the controller job.
 * And in some cases, SSH doesn't bring anything. Encryption only makes
   sense if the integrity of the resulting connection can be verified,
   which means a way to check, upfront, if the host key of the
   connection is valid. Now, assume that an embedded controller needs
   to be replaced. That leaves several scenarios: One scenario is that
   the SSH host key is pinned and the same on all controllers of the
   same type (and hence predictable, and hence SSH pointless).
   Another scenario is that the SSH key is board specific and hence,
   changes when the board is replaced, but then how does one verify the
   new host key of the replacement board? If there is no way to verify
   the host key, then integrity cannot be checked and hence again SSH
   is pointless.
   Keep in mind that these environments do NOT have DNS, and perhaps
   you don't want dependency on services like DNS if one second of
   machine downtime costs as much as USD 50 per second. I am not
   kidding, and my number is conservative.

The above is the complex-machine, industrial world I live in. And for those who think this is academic, the machines I talk about are used to create the processors, memory and the other semiconductors of the computer you use to read this email (among others).

May I ask that if we do "move to historic" action, we qualify this to the public internet only and explicitly put up a disclaimer that for embedded environments, requirements may be different and TELNET and FTP may be appropriate, perhaps more appropriate than "just use SSH" and hence TELNET/FTP clients and servers have a use in these environments?

For your consideration,

Geert Jan
(explicitly speaking my own opinion here, hence not mentioning machine names)