Re: TELNET to HISTORIC Re: FTP

On 2024-07-17, at 22:23, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You do have FTP, but it's hidden in the Finder.

As Greg Skinner mentioned, FTP also is in curl.

telnet is also in curl, but if that is not enough, try screen (*):

    $ screen telnet ietf.org 80

Add

    zombie ^\^]

to your ~/.screenrc to retain the screen window after the connection is closed; Ctl-\ then destroys (closes) the screen window, Ctl-] resurrects it (reopens the connection in the window).

Use

    $ info screen

to learn more about screen and find the command line options and commands you may want to use.

Grüße, Carsten

(*) We had handed over screen to a different maintenance team before this was added to screen, so I’m just reporting this.

screen (/usr/bin/screen) is in macOS:

$ screen -v
Screen version 4.00.03 (FAU) 23-Oct-06

$ sw_vers
ProductName:  macOS
ProductVersion:  14.6
BuildVersion:  23G80

Apart from introducing right in the 1980s a way to keep a connection open during absence, screen is also alive and well as the no-software-installed way to talk from a Mac to IoT devices via serial over USB:

$ screen /dev/cu.usbserial-142210 115200